Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Manchurian Candidate: Wow.

So, I've been thinking about what my next post could entail. Should I write more on the yucky mess of politics? Should I write about the new iPods and the like that Apple, Inc. officially announced yesterday? Should I do some random writings about weddings? How about write about my wonderful fiancee? There are a million subjects that I could knock out today. But I think I'm going to be simple and talk a touch about a  movie called The Manchurian Candidate.

For those of you that are unaware, I have a Netflix membership. It's one of the great choices that I have made, seeing as I am a major movie buff. I love to watch them, review them, talk about them, and be entertained by them. However, I've never been much into classic movies. I think it has something to do with the audio. The audio just never seems quite right -- it just appears to make the actors very rigid and boring. It's a factor that has kept me from renting and/or enjoying many of the classic movies that make up American cinema. That's not to say that I don't love the stories or don't appreciate the actors of the bygone eras, however the rigidity and audio quality is a major barrier to getting my attention and keeping me involved in the movie. That being said, I'd like to tackle some of the messages from The Manchurian Candidate, however, I just want you to remember that my impressions may not be wholly accurate.

The Manchurian Candidate (wikipedia) is a disturbing story about Raymond Shaw (played by Laurence Harvey), a military man captured during the Korean War. He is captured and brainwashed to be an assassin sleeper agent for the communist party. His trigger is the queen of diamonds playing card, after which he can be given assignments to carry out. The original 1962 film was directed by John Frankenheimer and opened to critical acclaim. In fact, it's one of few movies to have received a 98% rating on RottenTomatoes. The man who unravels the mystery and eventually saves the day is Bennett Marco (played by Frank Sinatra). You see, Raymond's mother is behind much of the conspiracy, and is attempting to place her husband into the presidency (he is the manchurian candidate). The hopes of the communist regime is that he will be a puppet to their wishes and they will control the US presidency. However, Raymond's mother (a creepy part played by Angela Lansbury, who looks EXACTLY the same) plans revenge after the presidency has been obtained because they used her son as the assassin. Anyway, as convoluted as the plot may seem, this plays out in utter perfection under his direction. Now, let me make one qualifying statement: this is a LONG movie. It could have used some editing during some of the slower sections. It is deliberately paced, and can drag at certain parts. For example, as Captain Marco discovers the secret behind the trigger, this is played out in a scene that occupies far more screen time than it truly needs. Therefore, to truly enjoy the picture, one should go in aware that the film will move forward, however, it will drag at many moments.

Now, this is considered a masterpiece of American cinema, and I completely understand why. The implications of what this says about our society and our strengths have never been more true today. Our fight may no longer be against communists, but we have new enemies. And the scary part is that this is an effective and scary method for them to gain access to our political system. As the Manchurian Candidate, Raymond's step father does not know that he is being controlled and propelled into the presidency. This is certainly not his goal, but much more placed upon him by his controlling and manipulative wife. While the parallels my not be so direct, it is quite a timely commentary on our current political machine. Often, we grabbed people and thrust them into the spotlight and the presidency perhaps before they are ready. They aren't necessarily evil people, nor even aware that they have been thrust in such a manner, however, our system is providing for them to become candidates for the US presidency and inviting them to promise things that may be far out control of the presidency. This is a strange thing that has not been popularized only recently. In fact, many presidential candidates make sweeping promises and fail to deliver on 90% of them during their actual presidency, when they discover that many of their promises were out of the reach of the presidency.

It's not that I don't believe in the reach of "change", however, I do believe that their are limits. And I think it's important to realize that change requires concrete plans, not aloof promises. While we all may be searching for that, it's something that must be obtained with plans, not merely wishes.

But I digress. The Manchurian Candidate is disturbing on another level based on the motivations of the mother. Someone who is willing to allow her son to be brainwashed and murder people for her own political aspirations is scary. Some will do anything to reach that pinnacle of power; it's important to be aware of the internal motivations and the reasons behind the search for power. When we can realize why someone aspires to such a position, we can truly find someone who is worthy to receive such power.

Anyway, if you want an intense thriller, I invite you to see the 1962 version of The Manchurian Candidate. It's slow, deliberate, and brutally honest.

Let's be careful.

P.S. I have the best fiancee ever. She's beautiful, smart, alluring, wonderful, and motivated. And she's great! :)

Commentary follows.

1 comment:

DeeAnn said...

its the 12th, sooooo... HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD MAN!!!! :) HAHA.... Hope you have an awesome one!