Monday, June 2, 2008

The Rolling Stone

So, I have a stone rolling in my kidney. Yup, that's right, a kidney stone. Those are scary things. Well, ok, so they aren't all that scary. They are exactly what they are: stones forming in your kidneys. There are several types of kidney stones, but "calcium in combination with either oxalate or phosphate. These chemicals are part of a person's normal diet and make up important parts of the body, such as bones and muscles." (WebMD) They occur naturally, and they aren't necessarily a bad thing. They just occur. Doctors don't know for sure why it happens, and there is much disagreement about them. All I know is that they hurt.

The story: last night, going to bed and all of the sudden the pain hits. 11:30. Hurts, and hurts. Gets worse. 12:30: I call my parents, get some advice. 12:45: Pain leaves, I fall asleep. 7:30 a.m.: Wake up to more pain. 8:00 - 12:00: Still hurting, worse and worse. Finally, I get to the doctor's office, and get diagnosed. X-Rays, urine test, and shots later, I'm feeling better. And I get vicodin. The wonders of narcotics.

So, these things hurt. They hurt a lot. Turns out that the best way of making sure to pass them fast is removing the pain. The reality is that your muscles respond to the pain by cramping and inhibiting the movement. While you eliminate the pain, the stone will move easier. So, the best way to get better is to simply OD on narcotics.

That's right. That's what I said.

So, what do I have to say to my stone? Keep on rolling. Find my bladder, and stop freaking hurting me!

You know where comments go.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Please tell me that you will post a photo of the dog-gone calcium oxalate/whatnot upon its emergence!

Wonder how much you could get on E-bay for that kind of thing.