Friday, October 31, 2008

My Personal Opinions

Opinions are fun Well, today I've decided to fill a post with my opinions. I'm going to write about politics, civil rights, and other things. Here goes:


  • Proposition 8: I support proposition 8. And no, that doesn't make me a bigot, nor a hater or anything of the sort. It simply makes me someone who supports the definition of traditional marriage. I get so sick of hearing that this argument is all about "civil rights" and hatred and bigotry. The reality is that it has nothing to do with civil rights. I think that those who were involved in the civil rights movements of the 20's and 60's should almost be offended that this is being compared to those. Homosexuals have the right to vote and participate in the political process. They have the right to receive the benefits that straight married couples receive. There's no comparison. They simply want to apply the term marriage to their civil unions. I do not support this. I agree that homosexual couples deserve certain rights and that they should have the opportunity to receive the same benefits as married straight couples, however, they don't need to call this marriage. This push has been talked about as "equality". It has nothing to do with equality at this point. They'd have you believe that you are intolerant if you support proposition 8. When did the definition of tolerate (according to the interwebz: To allow (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) to exist or occur without interference) to embrace? Why do I have to love and support and accept and embrace homosexuality to tolerate it? The reality is that I am not going to stop you living in your lives until you try to interfere with mine. So please, don't accuse me of bigotry and hatred. It's merely an argument against the redefinition of marriage. Gay couples already have civil unions. As far as I'm concerned, that's good.
  • Democratic Leadership: I'm scared. And that's not because Barack Obama is likely to be our next president. He's not a bad person, and in fact, he has some policies that I agree with and support (gun control, net neutrality, part of his economic policies) and I won't be angry when he (most likely) wins the next election. That's not the problem. The problem is the unchecked ownership of the democratic party in the government. With almost the 60 votes needed in the senate to push bills straight to vote and a majority in both the house and senate, it would seem that there will be a lot of unchecked power in the government for at least the next couple years. It's a problem. Some would argue that Bush has overused the power of the executive branch -- however, everything he did was within the power of the executive branch during war time or with the support of the house and senate. However, with unchecked power in the government, the whole liberal agenda could be pushed through quickly. Extremely left-wing people will be happy with this, but the majority of the US should be worried. Our government has always been about checks and balances. This year, we are potentially removing every one of them (the judicial branch is also very liberal). This is worrisome. I don't like that picture. Especially when Obama originally began his campaign talking about cooperation and support of both parties, and has now moved to the extreme. I don't worry about Obama being president: I worry about the entire liberal agenda being moved through in 4 years. Be careful America. There are a lot of conservatives out there.
  • "Stupid Conservatives": I get so sick of listening to highly liberal people talk about how conservative are stupid. Some say "Religion is just a crutch for the weak". (Yes, I've heard it plenty of times) It's interesting stuff. And I would like to refute it: I'm a very religious person. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I'm one of the more religious people that you might now. And I do not believe that my religion is a crutch. I enjoy having my faith in the Lord and Savior, and in God. He is powerful, and provides a lot of support and strength in this world. Religion has not made me blind. The reality is that I choose to be who I am and to do the things that I do. I choose to obey God's commandments and to follow His path. This does not make me weak. I would argue it makes me stronger. But that's a useless argument to those who don't understand the nature of God. I only ask that you stop useless attacks on religion itself.
  • TV: There are great shows I recommend: The Office, Heroes, 24 (January), Eleventh Hour, Chuck, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Seinfeld, House and Fringe. Watch them.
  • Politicians: I love that supporters of Obama would refer to McCain as a politician. He's not really a "true" politician. If he was, he wouldn't say things that he says. He'd be more "polished" and ambiguous and less argumentative and crochety. Those are all qualities that a certain "true" politician has: Obama. If there is one thing Obama is, it's a career politician. He speaks well, presents himself in a political manner and uses the word "change" a lot. If there is one person in this election that's a true politician, it's Barack Obama.
  • Obama's Health Plan: Social security is a mess. NASA is a mess. Medicare is a mess. Our country is deeply in debt. And Obama's going to cut taxes on the "middle class", skyrocket taxes on the rich and then use government money to create a goverment organization to provide socialized healthcare? Why would we want that. The government has failed in providing us with social security and medicare already. Why would we believe that the government can run our healthcare better than it already is? Taxes will be lower, and we'll find money to pay down our debt and create new, HUGE government programs? Does anyone else see the problem here?

Ok. I think I'm done. I know that I don't know everything. My opinions are just that: opinions. But I honestly hope that people will think during this election about what will be best for not only our country, but every country. The world benefits from democracy and freedom. Get out and vote. No matter who you are voting for, VOTE! Don't let people decide for you. Make your own decisions. But think through it and remember that not everything that is said is true. Don't get caught up in "change" or "hope". These are great things, but remember, without action, hope and change are just wishy washy concepts. Be careful and think before you vote.


Comment away.

7 comments:

Chels said...

I have to say I agree with all of this. Obama scares me and I think the country may be headed for some serious change, only some of which I think will be good. And I'm for proposition 8! Even though I'm not from California. I still care. So there.

Amanda P said...

Amen, dude. You make me happy. You already voted absentee?

Dianne said...

Phew. I think I need a nap!

Aubrey said...

Matt, I enjoy reading your thoughts and agree with you on all of them except on some of your shows. Good luck with your wedding this week! I'm so excited for you both!

Jason said...

I could comment on a lot of things but I'll focus on 2.

#1, I get really annoyed when conservatives think they know Obama's health care plan, but they have never read it. It's not nearly as ambitious as the one you have described. Essentially Obama has talked about changing some of the laws for insurance companies as far as how much they can charge for health insurance and whether they can deny people coverage. It's more of a consumer protection plan than anything else, and it is certainly not "socialized medicine."

#2, I get kind of irked when conservatives (especially LDS conservatives) assume that their political position is the "only true" political position based on their religious beliefs, which is sort of the flavor I get from your my religion is not a crutch paragraph. Religious justification can be made for any number of political perspectives (which causes a lot of problems actually, (http://katzscommentary.blogspot.com/2008/08/protecting-god-from-government.html ).

One last thing, 6 of the last 8 years the conservatives have been able to do whatever they wanted in congress and the exec branch. As a result we're in 2 wars with no end in sight, we verging on a depression, and the average median income as remained stagnant while the incomes of the wealthy have skyrocketed. We've already had redistribution of wealth, it's just been redistributed up. So you can be scared of a democratic majority if you want, but I don't see how they could make things any worse.

Matthew Gamblin said...

Jason:

I respect your opinion and always have. I think that you present yourself very well, and I appreciate that you do take other opinions in perspective. It's a nice thing to see. I would like to refute a couple things:

1) I have read lots about Obama's health care plan, and there is a lot that seems to be ambiguous out there. And no, I haven't been reading "fox news" or something like that. I tried to figure out what it all means, and that's just what I can get from what they have been talking about.

2) I am not using religion to support my political views. I do not believe that in the slightest. In fact, it annoys me as well when people talk about how religion makes them have the correct political opinion. The only one that I will aruge is that direction is the specific guidance given us by the church with regards to Proposition 8 in California. In that, the prophet has left no room for opinion. However, in all other respects, I fully agree with you and am glad that the church does not take many political stances because my opinion is sometimes kinda weird. haha

Matt Hillary said...

Criminal Minds is another great show!