Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Give me more POWER!

How many out there watch Heroes? How many are following the current season? Ok, so, I'm going to do a lame crossover. You know how Peter and Sylar just keep acquiring more and more powers? I'd like more power too. But I don't necessarily need more power, like superpowers (although I would really enjoy having some), I just need more power in my computer life. And that's why someone invented POWERSHELL.


I know. I'm a nerd. I'm ok with that.


Onto other subjects.


So, I'm taking a financial planning class this semester. It's giving me lots more power. How do I mean? I mean it's giving me power over my finances instead of letting my finances have power over me. It's amazing how, when you simply take control of your money, rather than letting your money control you, how much better you feel about everything. Creating budgets and trying to stick by them is fun. Plus, it's teaching me how to get my credit score, how to obtain my credit report, and also know more about what to do with these things. And that's been really nifty.


We recently had a class about home buying. I think that this is a class, or at least a section of the class, that everyone needs to focus on by visiting the website for personal finance that I linked above. It provides tons of information about how to compute your effective interest rate for your mortgage, and other information about affordability and what you can take into consideration before you head off to buy a home. I think it especially important to know during this time of financial meltdown.


But I digress. Windows Powershell is really cool.


But I keep digressing. Financial planning is crucial. Especially now that I am getting married, it's important to talk things over with my (future) wife and make sure that we are on the same page. In fact, this class has even helped to design a savings plan that should allow us to by a townhouse or condominium within the next 3-5 years while the market is recovering. It should be a great time to buy.


My brain's confused. It doesn't know what it wants to talk about. Heroes, Powershell, financial planning, Chuck, power, sleep, glasses, contacts. The list goes on. So let me conclude like this: I can't wait to watch The Office tomorrow.


Sigh.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

I also would like more power, but I would use my powers wisely. For example:

I would have the power of perspective, or view. Stay with me here. I would have the ability to turn my golf course view (which, admittedly, is not exactly bad) into an ocean view, complete with sandy beach and warm water. I would change society's perspective so that skinny, mid-forties women resembling twinkies were the RAGE. I would cause the media to see the bright side of things, and I assure you the economy would pick right up!

So from my perspective, I guess I'll go EAT a twinkie and watch the golf carts go by.

I will not be watching the office tonight. Sigh.

Matthew Gamblin said...

It's good that you aren't watching the office tonight, cuz it's not on. That's not till tomorrow. :)

Aubrey said...

I took many finance classes at school but didn't really get into it until Kyle introduced me to Dave Ramsey (www.daveramsey.com). We went to a 5 hour live event in which he went into 'how to live like no other in order to live like no other'. He has basic rules to follow. Kyle is very good with money and I'm pretty good at saving so we are a good match. As for Heroes, I'm on the second episode of the second season and yes, it's yawn worth especially compared to the first season. If i were to have a power it would to wiggle my nose and be anywhere I want. I know it's bewitched but technically Hiro can do it but his is more time travel...anyways, until next time..

Amanda P said...

I would have the power to convert excess calories into negative fat. I could eat as much as I wanted...and the more I ate, the more weight I'd lose. Mwah-ha-ha. Maybe I'll go have a twinkie, too...

Dianne said...

Wait! I changed my mind. I vote for Amanda's superpowers!

The more you eat, the leaner you become.

Sweet Holy Moses.