Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Is the American Dream Dead?

It would seem that in our current world, many people would have you believe that the "American dream" no longer applies. In other words, many would tell you that it is no longer possible to arrive in the US, find work, work hard, be successful and overcome the difficulties that were once present in your family or your life. It would seem that with the advent of more and more welfare, the cries for universal health care and more governmental control than ever, more and more people no longer believe that the United States provides the opportunity to improve yourself and grow and better your personal circumstances. I find this to be a HUGE fallacy.

First of all, I understand that my experiences may differ from many others, but the fact still remains that hundreds of millions of dollars of scholarships go unclaimed every year. The government provides so many gifts to people willing to work and study and learn. Those people, more than ever, have the opportunity to attend junior colleges, community colleges, trade schools, vocational institutes, or many other places that they wouldn't have had years ago. I fully believe that anyone willing to put in the work and the effort can succeed in today's society. If you are willing to find something that you are good at and work to improve your skills, you can prove invaluable at anything and everything that you might be able to do.

Second, don't doubt the power of the internet. Have a desire to learn how to create web pages? Thousands of pages are available that cover very basic to very advanced topics. Want to develop other skills that are hard to find in your area? I'm willing to bet that hundreds, if not thousands of pages are available to help you learn more about the skill, find schools that are willing to help train you, connect with people that can put you in the right place at the right time. Don't doubt that you can find pretty much anything you need to find on the internet.

Third, people aren't willing to work anymore. It would seem that everyone is in such a rush to get rich, that they simply aren't willing to spend years as grunts. Before you can make $100,000 a year, you might have to make $15,000 a year. And when you have no experience or training, the sad truth is that you are only worth that much. It's not settling -- it's knowing that with experience comes money. Be prepared to scrape things together for years while you work your way up the ladder. If you have a dead end job, the experience that you have working will definitely facilitate the search for the next step.

Fourth, It is expensive to live in California. It is expensive in Utah. It's expensive in New York, Florida, or along either coast. If you can't afford it, why not move somewhere more affordable? Find a job in a place that you can afford, that you can make ends meet, and you will more likely be happy and willing to work to improve yourself. Why is it the responsibility of those who have worked hard, learned, excelled, and received promotions to pay for those who don't want to work for themselves? I understand that some people can't find jobs: that's a different story. But it would seem that too many people are content to blame contemporary American society for their problems. Racism exists, problems exist, the economy is experiencing yet another downturn -- but this doesn't mean that you can't work to improve yourself. Instead of calling for more taxes or government programs, let's work toward overcoming ourselves and being the best we can.

I know this sounds like a terrible judgement on the people that live on welfare and can't find adequate employment or a way to support their families. It is not meant to offend, nor meant to accuse anyone of not doing what they can. But the reality is that the American dream is only dead in the heads of those who refuse to believe in it. American still provides endless opportunities for those willing to start at the bottom and work their way up the ladder. Success comes with time -- it's not something that we find hidden under a rock in our backyard. I suggest three things:

  1. Find something you love and discover a way to make it your life. Everyone has a passion. Some love to build things with their hands. Others love to code for computers. Still others love to play with numbers. Don't be afraid to look for jobs in these areas, even if they mean that your paycheck might be miserable as you work your way up the ladder, or create notoriety.
  2. Trade schools are great, low-cost alternatives that provide you with real world work experience and skills. If you don't like the formal educational system, don't let that stop you. Get out there and find a vocational school that trains in your passion. Learn to do construction management. Learn to program. Learn to arrange music. Network and socialize with people. You'll find that your classmates are often the best sources of new jobs and pertinent information.
  3. Don't blame outside forces. The only person responsible for your success is you. If you really want something, get out there and work for it. I've known many people in my college experience that are not blessed with the greatest natural intelligence -- but they make up for it with sheer determination and work ethic. They are willing to try, willing to fail, and willing to rework themselves. They often find the most successes. Remember, even Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player who ever lived, was cut from his high school varsity basketball team. If you are willing to work, you really can make anything happen.

Some might argue that my view is simplistic, and shaped by what I have seen around me in school and in my life. I won't disagree with that statement. Who I am is definitely a mixture of experiences, visions, emotions, hopes and dreams that have been with me for years. But, without those things I would never be where I am today. I could have given up long ago when I decided that Neuroscience was not my favored direction. When I lost my scholarship because I struggled through a few semesters in college. There were many opportunities to quit. But I know that my success is determined by myself. I am responsible for being who I am and for becoming the greatest that I can become.

I challenge everyone to recognize their own strengths. Find something you love and pursue it. Don't let others keep you down. Don't stop working. Don't overestimate the value of hard work. You won't start at the top. Precious few do. But the reality is that with enough work, love, devotion and dedication to something you do, you can succeed. I believe in everyone's ability. Let's work towards recreating the American dream and establishing ourselves in this magnificent generation filled with possibilities and imaginations. As my mom put it, "Just my thoughts, but I agree that the American dream is still out there.  Sometimes as we grow and change, our dreams modify.  But the truth is, once you stop dreaming, life loses its delight.  And then you die."

Comments? You know what to do.

1 comment:

Amanda P said...

I might argue you are a little simplistic - but I do also agree that the American Dream isn't dead, old fashioned, or impossible. The generations after the baby boomers, however, (as you stated) don't want to work for their success. They just want success now. No climbing of ladders, just a swift hop to the top.
Dreaming conotes a vision of the future. It's not a dream (i.e. the American Dream) if it is expected immediately. I say Americans get back to dreaming big - and then fulfilling those dreams.