Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Benefits of Doing Nothing

I have a job where I work at a computer lab on BYU campus. It's a challenge, really. I don't mean that in the I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing-what-a-hard-job type of way but more in the I-have-nothing-to-do-and-I'm-here-for-10-hours kind of way. Yea, that's right, this is my long, 10-hour day working at the computer lab. I'll tell you, spring/summer is not my favorite time of year here in the lab. You may think that it is nice to do very little, surf the web, and look outside. Well, I'm in a basement. No windows. The computer gives you a headache after you look around for too long. And I have very little cell phone service. I'm telling you -- 10 hours can seem like forever when you are stuck in the basement of the JKB on BYU campus.


Luckily,I'm a clever computer nerd, and I have an assortment of websites that I frequent during these times. Examples include:

And plenty of others. However, just refreshing these sites all day long can get repetitive. So, I do my best to entertain myself by reading. I've been working 40 hours a week for the last two weeks, with 4 10-hour shifts so far; I've read 5 books. And not some 100 page nothing novels, but 600-800 page novels covering many different topics. So, I am averaging about 1400 pages a week. I don't have the money to support that habit. So, what can I really do? Not much. but that's why my blog will be getting more attention!


Any ideas or websites you'd have me scan? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

Janae said...

Tanner likes this firefox add on called "stumble upon." Google it and see if it gets you to some other sites that might keep you from being bored.

Kudos on the reading, let me know if you want recommendations for non-600-800 page books... Use the library!! :)

Jason said...

You know we have a very large library on campus where you can check out books for FREE :-). We need a controller for the front desk computer again, I remember one summer I beet Mario 64, good times.