Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Our Times

My mom read me this quote the other day, and I thought it so very applicable:

"Make no mistake about it, brothers, and sisters, in the months and years ahead, events are likely to require each member to decide whether or not he will follow the First Presidency. In short brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ. Your discipleship may see the time when such religious convictions are discounted. Let us leave a record so that the choices are clear, letting others do as they will in the face of prophetic counsel."


Neal A. Maxwell, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints said this in 1978. 1978. Never is it more applicable than presently. The prophet of this dispensation, Thomas S. Monson, recently asked membership of the church to support and vote yes on the proposition 8 movement in California. Let me rephrase: he announced that the church supports proposition 8 and asked the membership to cast a "yes" vote and work to obtain the necessary votes to pass this ballot measure. It's important.


I guess I should just say, as trite as it may be: "As for me and my house ..."


Not to mention the logical arguments that can be made to pass such a measure.


You know what to do now.


P.S. I thought this article by Orson Scott Card, an LDS democrat and journalist was a fascinating view of the current economic crisis, http://www.meridianmagazine.com/ideas/081017light.html


Don't hate me for my opinion, but I just needed to say that.


P.P.S. VOTE!!!!!

1 comment:

Jason said...

I'll admit, I was not yet alive in 1978, but I'm pretty sure Neal A. Maxwell was not the president of the LDS church ;).

Also, Card claims to be a democrat, but everything I read from him makes him sound like a neocon.

For a more comprehensive history of the economic crisis check this out (both parties are at fault, not just the democrats as card claims:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=355

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=365

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=366